The heart of the operation begins with its founder Antonis (Tony) Kimonides and his dream to raise fish in his native Cyprus in a way that combines modern science with natural systems. Born and raised in Limassol, Tony wanted to return home after years of working abroad. An oceanographer by training, he worked for the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and then as a consultant for farms in Greece. He moved back to Cyprus with a farm site already in mind, protected from the western winds in the Bay of Limassol.
In 1989, he founded Kimagro, the first ocean cage farm in Cyprus, and the product of decades of learning. In its 22 years, the farm has grown to employ 25 people, all from the community, and is regarded as the most modern farm in the Mediterranean.
View Info Sheet
Photo Gallery — Fish + Fire = Heaven
Photo Gallery — Dorade Five Ways at Akiko's
|See where this fish comes from: Map it
- A Mediterranean staple, this flaky, mild white fish lends itself to a wide range of preparations
- No antibiotics, no hormones, no GMOs, no colorants, and no land animal byproducts
- Fish have low stocking density (maximum of 12 kg per cubic meter) and grow at nature's pace
- Pens are monitored with 24-hour cameras
- Nutrient impact on the ocean floor is tested every six months to ensure the health of the surrounding environment